Brian Derdowski, Jr., Esq.
Brian Derdowski represented the IRS for twenty years as an attorney with the Office of Chief Counsel, IRS. Brian’s practice focused on litigation of civil tax controversies in the United States Tax Court, and included representation of the United States in bankruptcy matters as a Special Assistant United States Attorney and support of litigation in United States District Court and the Court of Federal Claims.
In addition to consistent litigation work, Brian provided advice and training to IRS and IRS Counsel personnel in the areas of reportable transaction disclosure and penalty rules, offshore disclosure and penalty rules, tax planning strategies involving life insurance, complex enforced collection, and civil fraud. Brian’s advisory work included serving as point of contact for civil fraud analysis and development for fraud enforcement advisors and other IRS examination and collection personnel located in New Jersey.
Brian’s litigation experience includes published decisions addressing issues of deferred compensation, unreported offshore income, gift tax, reportable transaction understatement penalties and accuracy-related penalties.
Brian Derdowski, Esq
14 Washington Place
Hackensack, NJ 07601
- LL.M. (Taxation) New York University School of Law
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, Cum Laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Economics, University of Puget Sound
Judicial Clerkship: Served as Law Clerk to Judge Gail Menyuk, New Jersey Tax Court, 2002-2003
Awards and Recognition
Chief Counsel, IRS, and the Commissioner of Internal Revenue recognized Brian’s service to the Internal Revenue Service through the following awards:
- Chief Counsel Abraham N.M. Shashy Jr. National Customer Service Award, 2007
- IRS Outstanding Achievement Award, 2008 [Section 419 Issue Management Team]
- Chief Counsel Fred Goldberg, Jr. National Attorney Excellence Award, 2012
- New York